Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie 1 2 handfuls leafy greens 1/2 cup frozen blueberries 1 frozen banana 1 T almond butter 1 tsp maca powder (optional) 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper 1/2 cup water 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie

June 4, 2015

I really tried hard to think of more of a catchy name for this smoothie. There was the Blazing Blueberry Smoothie, the Blue Heat Smoothie, and several others not worth mentioning. When it came down to it though, this smoothie adds a ton of inflammation fighting foods and spices so the key word is Anti-inflammatory. In all honesty, it’s not the most catchy, however, these days it is quite the buzz word in all things related to health and nutrition.

So what is all of the buzz about eating foods with anti-inflammatory powers? I am not by any means a pro, but here is what I have learned recently.  Inflammation is directly related to our immune system. While a little bit of inflammation is good and necessary to heal our bodies, there is such a thing as way too much. That’s where our health suffers. Inflammation triggers are everywhere: stress, sugar, saturated fats, toxins in the environment, etc., so you can’t completely avoid all of the triggers, but you can certainly look to your diet to help create balance. Skipping highly processed foods is one thing to do for sure. Cutting back on sugar will also help. In doing so, you may notice an improvement in skin issues such as acne, a boost in energy and even some allergy relief as these and so many other health issues can actually just be caused by inflammation.

Inflammation is like salt. A pinch is a good thing, but get a tad too much and it ruins everything.

Prevention Magazine

There are actually a lot of foods that are considered anti-inflammatory. Here are ten to get you started:

1. Wild Caught Salmon. Omega-3 fatty acids fight inflammation and these fish are a great source.

2. Whole Grains. We have heard time and time again to cut out the white, refined flour so this is just one more reason to do it!

3. Dark, leafy greens. I have been adding these to my husband’s smoothies lately and he has finally stopped complaining. The list of benefits from eating your greens is so long so this just is icing on the cake, right?

4. Nuts. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews and more. Again, the omega-3 fatty acids are loaded in all kinds of nuts.

5. Spices: ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and more.

6. Berries. These fruits are loaded with anti-oxidants as well so load up on your berries!

7. Garlic. Sure it’s potent to the breath, but it is an anti-inflammation powerhouse!

8. Olive Oil. Many studies on the Mediterranean diet that is rich in extra virgin olive oil show the benefits when it comes to combatting inflammation.

9. Avocados. Yes! I can’t live without these so just another reason to eat them daily!

10. Beans. These are a great protein source and high in fiber as well!

So there is a good list to get you started. In reality, the more whole foods you put into your body, the more likely you are to get these kinds of foods. Your immunity will get a boost, and overall health will improve. What’s not to love about that?

I guess you can see why it was pretty tough to come up with anything catchy for this smoothie, but don’t let the name fool you, it is delicious and full of flavor and character. I have been on a cayenne kick lately when it comes to my smoothies so this Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie is just the right balance of sweet and spicy. Blueberries, leafy greens, almond butter, cinnamon, cayenne and even the Maca powder (optional) offer anti-inflammatory qualities so you are ready for anything with this one! If you are not one for heat, lighten up on the cayenne at first but I wouldn’t skip it completely, it just adds a bit of flair to the whole smoothie. So go eat up and fight some inflammation!

Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie. Be Whole. Be You.

Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
Serves 1
Prep Time
5 min
Prep Time
5 min
Ingredients
  1. 2 handfuls spinach or leafy greens
  2. 1 frozen banana
  3. 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  4. 1 T almond butter
  5. 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  6. 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne (start light and add as desired)
  7. 1 tsp maca powder (optional)
  8. 1/2 cup water
  9. 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
Be Whole. Be You. http://www.bewholebeyou.com/
Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie. Be Whole. Be You.

You Might Also Like

45 Comments

• Reply Barbara zeman July 6, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I use whole almonds as the almond butter is over 7.00 for a pint.

• Reply Lorie July 7, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I like to make my own to be more cost effective but I also add almonds as is sometimes as well. Thanks again, Barbara!

• Reply Cathy December 26, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Any way of contacting you outside of a public post?

• Reply Lorie December 26, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Info@bewholebeyou.com

I thought I had it up somewhere but now that I think of it, I don’t think I do!

• Reply Cathy December 26, 2015 at 3:31 pm

I just finished making this for my afternoon green drink. I highly recommend! I omitted the maca powder (personal preference). I liked the cayenne idea. It gave it a kick. I will prefer this recipe as my blueberry “green” drink.

• Reply Lorie December 27, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I love this one, too! I like changing up my green smoothie at times!

• Reply Amanda @ The Fundamental Home January 6, 2016 at 5:19 pm

Any options without almond milk or butter? My son has a nut allergy, but we are looking for anti-inflammatory options for him. Thanks!

• Reply Lorie January 6, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Hi! Coconut water could be used as it is a great anti-inflammatory. If you prefer a milk then maybe go for hemp milk. As for the butter, sub sunflower seed butter which is another great anti-inflammatory!

• Reply Lindsay Conaway January 24, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Would peanut butter work instead of almond butter? Or maybe just adding in sunflower seeds?

• Reply Lorie January 24, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Hi Lindsay! Peanut butter would work. I use the almond butter dues to it’s anti-inflammatory qualities. Sometimes I use a few whole almonds instead of the butter!

• Reply 12 Amazing Healthy Fruit Smoothies - Mama Bees Freebies April 23, 2016 at 11:00 am

[…] Via bewholebeyou.com […]

• Reply For all my blueberry lovers! | justvickssite May 6, 2016 at 11:21 pm

[…] YOU CAN FIND THE RECIPE HERE […]

• Reply Paul May 17, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Very good I’ll be drinking this daily after a hard day at work

• Reply Lorie May 17, 2016 at 4:06 pm

This is my favorite smoothie. Thanks Paul!

• Reply Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie – Brother Workouts May 31, 2016 at 1:46 pm

[…] (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Click here to read more […]

• Reply 150 Delicious Paleo Breakfast Recipes - Whole Food, Whole You June 20, 2016 at 10:59 am

[…] Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie by Be Whole + Be You (egg-free) […]

• Reply 20 Inflammation Reducing Smoothie To Drink When Dealing With September 11, 2016 at 8:59 pm

[…] Via Be Whole Be You […]

• Reply Drinks that Heal – ashleyrightnow September 22, 2016 at 12:36 pm

[…] is this awesome Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie.  It includes 3 of the ingredients on the list: Leafy greens, bok choy and blueberries!  And see […]

• Reply Anna | blenderauthority.com January 27, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Great smoothie recipe and information. I added your recipe to my anti-inflammatory smoothie list http://blenderauthority.com/anti-inflammatory-smoothie-recipes/

Hope that is OK.

• Reply Lorie January 28, 2017 at 10:53 am

Absolutely! Thanks so much Anna! I can’t wait to check out the entire list.

• Reply Kelsey April 4, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Any idea of a calorie count on this? Looks so awesome!

• Reply Lorie April 5, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Not sure but you could easily plug the ingredients into something like My fitness Pal and get the numbers! This one is my go to smoothie!

• Reply Suzanne July 23, 2017 at 4:46 pm

This looks delicious and I love the idea of the cayenne! I might alternate that with some turmeric and black pepper. Is there something I can replace the banana with, though? I’m omitting as much sugar as possible from my diet for a while.

• Reply Lorie July 24, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Hey there! You could use an avocado instead, that usually is a great sub as it will still keep the smoothie thick and creamy. And I love the turmeric, I need to add some as well to mine!

• Reply Deryn | Running on Real Food July 31, 2017 at 11:47 am

Yum, girl. I’m all about that anti-inflammatory diet! I always have a hard time coming up with smoothie names too..and I LOVE THE CAYENNE in there. Not sure why I’ve never tried that, I love adding turmeric and ginger but will have to try cayenne. Thanks 🙂

• Reply Lorie August 1, 2017 at 1:22 pm

I’ve added turmeric as well but I’m not a huge fan of the flavor. I know it’s so good for me though!

• Reply Sonali- The Foodie Physician July 31, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I make a lot of smoothies. They are a quick and easy way to pack a lot of nutritious ingredients into a delicious and portable meal or snack. This one sounds like it has a nice kick to it! I’ll have to give it a try!

• Reply Lorie August 4, 2017 at 11:50 am

They really are the best bang for your buck!

• Reply Sarah July 31, 2017 at 4:25 pm

This is my kind of smoothie! I’ve added cayenne to smoothies and had smoothies pretty much the same but without the cayenne and never thought to add it but now can’t wait to try it!

• Reply Lorie August 4, 2017 at 11:49 am

Yes! It’s so amazing!

• Reply Taylor Kiser July 31, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Love smoothies! Can’t wait to try this one! Especially like the addition of cayenne!

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Same. Enjoy!

• Reply Emily Kyle August 1, 2017 at 8:48 am

I suffer quite a bit from inflammation, so its always awesome to see more recipes like this! I even think I have all of the ingredients on hand to make this afternoon, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Hope you love it Emily!

• Reply Katherine August 1, 2017 at 9:30 am

Yum! That smoothie is beautiful, and I love that it has extra health benefits, too 🙂

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:14 pm

Tasty and healthy are always a great combo!

• Reply Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen August 1, 2017 at 10:36 am

Oh I love the addition of cayenne and maca in there! This smoothie sounds seriously awesome. Blueberries are magical.

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Thanks Ashley! I just stocked up on maca so it’s happening now!

• Reply Julie @ Running in a Skirt August 1, 2017 at 1:17 pm

I have inflammation in my elbow right now from breaking it! Clearly I need to try this, what a great recipe.

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:13 pm

The worst, hope you feel better and fast!

• Reply Alisa Fleming August 1, 2017 at 7:52 pm

I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen cayenne in a smoothie before! I’m trying to figure out how all of this will come together, and I just can’t, so I’ll just have to try it 🙂

• Reply Lorie August 1, 2017 at 11:50 pm

I had it in a smoothie a couple years ago at a local Juicery. It’s unlike anything. You really just have to do it!!

• Reply Jessica @Small Bites by Jessica August 1, 2017 at 10:31 pm

I’ll take blueberries in any form I can get them! This looks so creamy and delicious!

• Reply Lorie August 2, 2017 at 9:12 pm

Yes! And when they are in season. Even better!