Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers 6 burgers 2 cans black beans 1/4 red onion 2 garlic cloves 1/3 cup cilantro 1 chile pepper 1/2 cup bread crumbs, whole grain or gluten free 1 tsp cumin 1/2 tsp chili powder 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes juice of 1/2 lime 1 egg or flax egg

Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers

June 17, 2015

It has definitely felt like summertime for quite a bit now around here so it’s kind of crazy to think that the official start to the season is still a few days away. I find it hard to believe since we have been sweating our tails off for well over a month now, but it’s true. Swimming pools, ice cold lemonade, ice cream cones, screaming children and more will fill the next several months.  But the best part of all? The BBQs of course! Well, and the ice cream cones if you ask me!

My hubby, Anthony has never been a cook in any way, shape, or form. I always joke that he couldn’t cook a peanut butter and jelly sandwich if he tried. But when it comes to grilling, he is positive he is the master. And I won’t complain one bit about that!

We probably grill out at least 3 or 4 nights a week at our house. While Anthony is happy with a big piece of meat each and every night, that gets old to me. I am not a vegetarian but I don’t get a lot of my protein from meat and so that can be an issue when it comes to the grill. We pack on the veggies grilling everything from asparagus to zucchini but I also want something else.

I found a recipe for a black bean burger a while back and was instantly hooked. I started making a batch at a time and freezing each individually. That way I could pull one out on nights that I wanted something besides a piece of salmon or whatever else was on the menu. While I liked the recipe I was using, I wanted to add a bit more flavor and fun to a black bean burger. I threw this one together and now this Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burger is my new obsession. They really are so very easy to make and are also fairly versatile. I have cut one up and tossed it in a salad, eaten it as a traditional burger, crumbled it up and used it as “taco meat” and also just eaten it plain as the patty itself.

If you have certain dietary needs, this burger can be made gluten free, dairy free and egg free. One thing I also make sure is to buy frozen organic non-gmo corn. a LOT of corn in the USA is genetically modified and canned corn usually comes in a can with BPA in the lining. If you prefer a bit more kick to your burger, swap the chile out for a jalepeño instead.

So fire up the grill and get these burgers ready because summer is here!

Cilantro Lime Black Bean Burgers

5. 2 garlic cloves
  6. 1/3 cup cilantro
  7. 1 tsp cumin
  8. 1/2 tsp chili powder
  9. 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  10. Juice of 1/2 lime
  11. 1/2 cup bread crumbs (whole wheat or gluten free, panko crumbs will work as well)
  12. 1 egg or flax egg
  13. Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, process the chile pepper, onion, and garlic until finely ground.
  2. Add in one can or two cups of black beans, cilantro, lime juice and spices. Process until a smooth, pasty consistency.
  3. Transfer the mixture to a medium sized mixing bowl.
  4. Add in the rest of the black beans, egg or flax egg, bread crumbs, and corn and stir until combined.
  5. Form into burger sized patties.
  6. Grill over medium low heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
  7. You can also cook these in a frying pan over medium heat until browned on each side.
Notes
  1. If mixture seems a bit too moist, add in extra bread crumbs.
  2. Depending on the size of the patties, this will make about 6-8 burgers.
  3. Feel free to freeze these as well.
Be Whole. Be You. http://www.bewholebeyou.com/

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Caroline December 14, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Just made these tonight, great and easy recipe – thanks!

• Reply Lorie December 14, 2015 at 7:39 pm

So glad you liked them, Caroline! I have a couple in the freezer I plan on using this week since the weather is so warm in December. Thanks again!

• Reply Karissa December 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm

These were absolutely delicious! I used a whole jalapeño with seeds for a kick. I definitely will be making these again! Thanks for the recipe!

• Reply Lorie December 29, 2015 at 10:30 pm

So glad you liked them, Karissa! Thanks for sharing! These are certainly my go-to during grilling season, and I do like a little bit of extra heat as well.

• Reply Jeanie January 18, 2016 at 2:59 am

Do you freeze these before cooking or after?

• Reply Lorie January 18, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Hi Jeanie! I freeze them before I cook them so I can just thaw and toss on the grill or in the skillet.

• Reply 10 Frugal and Healthy Bean Recipes January 31, 2016 at 3:51 am

[…] a burger, but don’t want to eat beef? Then you’ve got to make Be Whole Be You’s cilantro lime black bean burgers! It’s such a great frugal and healthy bean […]

• Reply EmATee February 5, 2016 at 1:12 am

[…] shall be using this recipe as a guide.  SO let us get right into […]

• Reply Jodi February 17, 2016 at 9:17 am

Do you drain the black beans first? Also, where do you find flax egg?

• Reply Lorie February 18, 2016 at 11:09 am

Hi Jodi! Yes I strain the black beans and rinse. Also flax eggs can be easily made at home. Whisk together 1 T flaxmeal with 3 T water. Allow to set in the fridge for about 15 minutes and that’s it!

• Reply Living like Leila | Vegan Meal Prep March, Week No. 1 March 6, 2016 at 7:29 am

[…] bean burger, sweet potato, and bell peppers –> The burger recipe is from Be Whole Be You and I’ll be using low sodium black beans and a flax egg instead of a real one. I’ll […]

• Reply Ivy April 17, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe. Today is my meal & healthy snack prep day. I was actually able to get 8 burgers out of this based on the sizes I made, but followed your exact instructions. I cooked my black beans fresh from bagged beans this morning vs using canned. Simple and easy for when I’m ready to have a nutritious burger even if I go bun-less, but wrap with lettuce instead.

• Reply Lorie April 18, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Ivy, so glad this recipe worked out for you! I just got everything to make these for the week as grilling season is upon us! Happy meal prepping!

• Reply Nancy April 30, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Awesome recipe!! Even the non vegetarians in the family enjoyed. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Lorie May 2, 2016 at 6:35 pm

So glad everyone liked them Nancy! I just made a batch last week! Yum.

• Reply How to Plan Meals and Meal Prep While Tracking Macros - Living like Leila June 6, 2016 at 6:20 pm

[…] I made some Cilantro lime black bean burgers from Be Whole Be You, these burgers are delicious and easy to make! No buns or ketchup though! Just […]

• Reply Carolyn July 20, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Do you need to drain and rinse the black beans?

• Reply Lorie July 21, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Great question! Yes, I drained and rinsed!

• Reply Christina Mickens July 26, 2016 at 8:23 pm

Can I use coconut flour in place of the breadcrumbs?

• Reply Lorie July 27, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I imagine you could. I wouldn’t put quite a 1/2 cup as it may dry the burgers out a bit. Maybe try 1/3 c. Oats or quick oats are another option.

• Reply Nicole Pawloski September 14, 2016 at 9:59 pm

My boyfriend and I made these tonight and it is by far the best home made black bean burgers we’ve made in awhile! The recipe was so easy. We cooked ours on a pan over the oven. Will definitely be making these again! Thank you!

• Reply Lorie September 15, 2016 at 10:07 pm

So glad you loved them, Nicole! These are my favorite. I have some in the freezer now!

• Reply Jessica October 8, 2016 at 5:10 pm

What sauce & stuff do you put in ? 🙂

• Reply Lorie October 8, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Hi Jessica! It really depends on my mood as to what I put on as a sauce. I have spread avocado or guacamole probably most of the time as you just can’t beat that in my opinion!

• Reply Shannon Starich July 13, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Mine crumbled on the frying pan….what can I do to get them to bind together better?

• Reply Lorie July 13, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Hey Shannon! Did you use a flax egg or a real egg? That will help with next steps if I know that!

• Reply Burgers | Lisa and Janine Try to Cook July 14, 2017 at 10:48 am

[…] followed this recipe and they were super easy and delicious. You basically mix most of the ingredients together in the […]