I am so surprised I have lasted as long as I have without a waffle maker. And now that I have one in my life, the possibilities are endless. Today you are getting these Vegan Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Waffles, but look out friends, Carrot Cake Waffles are coming soon! This is the beginning of a beautiful thing.
I must let you know though that these waffles were created because the day my new toy arrived, I opened the fridge to find I was out of eggs. But never fear, waffles can still be made without them, thank goodness!
The key to these is making a good flax egg. And that requires just a bit of time. One flax egg consists of 1 tablespoon of ground flax meal and 3 tablespoons of water. You have to whisk the ingredients together and then chill for about 10 minutes or so to allow it to gel up. It makes a world of a difference if you wait it out. It can make your waffles a flop if you don’t so take the time.
As for the oatmeal aspect of these, it is my go to flour so that everyone can enjoy them. Nut free, gluten free–it wins in my book. I have a few recipes coming that will incorporate other flours, but if you have been around here long enough, you know my eternal love for all things oats and using them for a flour is top notch. You can easily make your own so there is never a need to spend the extra cash on oat flour. Just throw some oats into the blender and in a few minutes you are set.
One thing I would highly suggest for this recipe to make it even more out of this world is to perhaps top these with some gooey baked cinnamon apples. Nothing like it.–Great, now I am very hungry and very ready for this weekend’s brunch.
- 1 1/3 c oat flour (about 1 1/2 c oats processed into flour)
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 3 T coconut oil
- 2 T ground flax
- 6 T water
- 1 large apple, grated (I used Fuji)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together flax and water. Allow to chill for at least ten minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond milk, vanilla, maple syrup, coconut oil, and flax egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and sea salt. Stir.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir.
- Add grated apple and stir.
- Pour batter into waffle iron according to the amount yours allows. (Mine was about 1/3 c per section)
- Cook according to waffle iron or more if more brown is desired.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- I added pecans as well one time so feel free to add as well!