Sometimes I worry that the only thing I ever post here is breakfast and dessert recipes. But then I realize that my two most favorite things are breakfast and dessert so who am I to deny my favorite things? I have a salad coming up this week so I switch it up a bit at least, right?
The thing that I have always been big on is simple, make ahead options for healthy meals and treats. Overnight oats are my typical make ahead breakfast but I have been adding more eggs to my breakfasts–and dinners for that matter a lot lately. This recipe meets the ‘make ahead’ requirements I have and also can be frozen so you have them for weeks if you need them!
These Spinach + Zucchini Egg Muffins started as one thing and ended as another. I was trying to make a zucchini crust at the bottom. I did not press the zucchini/cheese mixture enough apparently because they essentially rose up with the rest of the egg mixture. So the next time I made them, I just mixed everything together which was a lot easier and came out with the same results.
Whether you are eating these for breakfast, lunch or dinner, they are simple, packed with protein and veggies, and did I mention delicious? Make several batches when you are meal prepping for the week and have plenty to eat all week, or freeze them and grab them when you are in a pinch. Simple ingredients, simple recipe, and simply the best!
- 6 large eggs
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 c chopped spinach
- 1/3 c white cheddar (organic if possible)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grate zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together well.
- Add all other ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Spray or coat a muffin tin with olive oil or preferred oil and pour mixture to fill each about 2/3 full.
- This will fill about 6-8 muffins.
- Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until edges begin to brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Refrigerate leftovers for about 3-5 days or freeze.