Happy Friday, or should I say #FrozenFriday! I have been waiting for this day, literally as I have been so excited to share this recipe as well as all of the amazing recipes from some pretty amazing food loving bloggers out there.
I am joining forces with SO Delicious and Alisa over at Go Dairy Free and taking part in probably the tastiest recipe contest out there. And I will tell you, taste testing in the kitchen was far from tough! And you can be a part of this contest and win some tasty treats as well! Just follow this link for more information.
I was given the task of creating a completely dairy free and vegan frozen treat. To be honest, the options are infinite in this department. I still have a few more that you will see down the road but these Lemon + Toasted Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches were the winners according to my taste buds as well as the husband who is not a fan of coconut, or so he seems to keep saying and then loving things with coconut…. Hmmmmm.
The goal of this contest is to show people that #NothingCompares to Dairy free frozen treats, and one bite into these ice cream sandwiches and you will have to agree! The lemon cookies are chewy and with a refreshing citrus flavor. Almond flour is the base and this was also my first time using a vegan butter. I was not disappointed. The texture was on point. SO Delicious’s Vanilla Bean Coconut Milk Ice cream has just the right amount of a light coconut flavor with the richness of the vanilla bean. Rolling these in freshly toasted coconut is key and what knocks these out of the park!
One note—make sure to freeze these for about an hour before eating. Otherwise one bite will squeeze all the ice cream in all directions–lesson learned the hard way. I also found an ice cream sandwich press at Sur La Table that was pretty cool and for $8.00. I don’t think it was really necessary as a glass or something round and flat, otherwise your hand can be helpful in pressing the sandwiches together.
Ok, no more time to waste. Frozen Friday only comes around once a week—but I hear frozen Saturday, Sunday, Monday, etc. is a great day as well for these treats! Hope to see your creations on Instagram and social media. Just use the hashtags #FrozenFridays and #NothingCompares. Thanks!
- 1/2 c vegan butter
- 1/2 c Turbinado sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 c almond flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dash of sea salt
- 1 pint SO Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean Frozen Dessert
- 1/2 c unsweeteened coconut, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a hand mixer or standing mixer, beat vegan butter and sugar together until creamy and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and salt and beat.
- Add in almond flour 1/2 cup at a time and beat until all flour is mixed in.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Chill for 10-30 minutes if time permits for best results but not completely necessary.
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon desired sized cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet. These won't spread much so press them gently to flatten.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until edges are golden brown. Allow to cool and then freeze for 10-15 minutes.
- After cookies are baked, spread coconut on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Making sure ice cream has had time to thaw for about 5-10 minutes, scoop single ice cream scoops onto one cookie and press another cookie on top. You can use a small plate to flatten if that helps.
- Roll into the toasted coconut and place in a freezer safe container.
- Freeze for about one hour before serving.
- I got about 16 cookies out of this recipe, depending on the size you may get more or less.
- I also used a spoon to spread the ice cream evenly around the edges of the cookies. That just makes them prettier, the taste is still the same!
About the #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest
The #FrozenFridays Recipe Contest is being sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free and hosted by Go Dairy Free. I have received free So Delicious product to help in my testing, and have the chance to win $500, $250, and free product prizes.