T minus two days until Taco Tuesday, so prepping needs to happen right now! Ok, not really. These tacos can be whipped up in about 20 minutes, so absolutely no need to spend all of your precious time! If you are a spicy kind of person, then these are the tacos for you. And if you are not? Well, then these can still be for you as well. The heat can be increased or decreased based on your taste.
We love tacos.
The options are endless, and I swear everything tastes better wrapped in a tortilla. Recently, we added these Sweet Potato Hash Breakfast Tacos to our taco options here at BWBY, and I couldn’t be happier to have them quite regularly–for dinner as well. And now that it is getting closer and closer to fall, I have been using my slow cooker all the more, so my Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Tacos are going to make an appearance…or two. Tacos are life! And these new Spicy Sausage Tacos are going to rock your socks! (um, or something like that…)
When I hit up Trader Joe’s, I stock up on all of their sausages: chicken sausages, turkey sausages, heck, even veggie sausages. I swear they are the best and I love the simple list of ingredients. The cost isn’t too bad at all either. We slice them up and throw them in the skillet for all sorts of meals including pastas, stir fry’s and recently, even tacos. We mainly grab the sweet Italian and the spicy jalapeño. I am not always in the mood for the spice, but it definitely pairs well with certain dishes.
The beauty of these spicy sausage tacos is that you can add any kind of sausage you like–and that means veggie sausage as well. There are a lot of good ones out there actually. The slaw is made with a simple mixture of cole slaw cabbage mix, mayo, jalapeño, maple or honey and lime juice. And as your taco topping, it’s perfect. I have added it to a good deal of fish tacos as well if you catch my drift.
Dinner doesn’t have to take an hour, and it certainly can be simple and nutritious. And if you celebrate Taco Tuesday every week, then you will want to add these tacos to your rotation of favorites!
- 4-5 pre-cooked spicy chicken sausage links (any kind of sausages will actually work!)
- 2 1/2 c cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 small jalapeño
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 T mayo (vegan option if desired)
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup or honey
- Sea Salt and cracked pepper
- handful of fresh cilantro
- 6-8 corn or flour soft tacos
- Slice sausages into 1/2 in. rounds.
- Heat drizzle of olive oil in skillet at medium-high.
- Add sausages and cook, stirring occasionally to turn until browned on each side. Remove from heat.
- While sausage is cooking, dice jalapeño very small and remove seeds for less heat if desired.
- Toss cole slaw, mayo, lime juice and zest, and jalapeño (to taste) and sweetener of choice together. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Add freshly chopped cilantro and stir. Add a teaspoon or two if the slaw seems too thick.
- Warm tortillas if desired and then assemble tacos by adding sausage and top with slaw. Add extra cilantro and sliced jalapeños if desired.
- I love spreading a little bit of mashed avocado on the tortillas as well before putting the tacos together.