Peanut Butter Banana Protein Overnight Oats

January 5, 2017

Let’s talk about protein.

I eat mostly plant based. And what has been amazing recently is my husband is doing the same thing as well. This has made things in our household so much simpler. The meat we are eating is mainly chicken and fish, and only a few times a week. This has been wonderful not just for our health but also for our marriage–ha!

So one of the first questions people typically ask when they find out you are not eating meat at every single meal is, “How do you get your protein?” This is a very easy answer as there are so many plants that are packed with protein!

The list is long and it includes seeds, beans, lentils, spinach, nuts, oats, and so much more! IF you are eating lots of plants, trust me, you are getting your protein. Read more here if you are interested!

My husband has been requesting that I add a protein powder to his oats. Let me be clear, all protein powders are NOT created equally. And so many of them, even the ‘all natural’ ones contain fillers, artificial flavors, sugar and other junk we don’t really need. So I had to venture out and see what I could find. I needed a protein powder that wouldn’t give his oats a bad flavor and one also that like I said was in it’s most whole food form. So basically a ground nut or seed or something of the like. I have used hemp powder and that tends to work. I also noticed a lot of plant based protein powders contained pea protein–but again, they also contained lots of other ingredients. And then I found several powders that were just plain, unsweetened pea protein powder. There were also a few that were vanilla or chocolate flavored. I went with Bob’s Red Mill’s version which boasted 21 grams of protein per serving. Not bad, huh?

So then I had to test it. It definitely altered the taste of the oats a bit, so I had to play around with the amount so that there wasn’t a bitterness to the recipes. I also knew I was adding them to oats that would have most likely chia seeds and some sort of nut or seed butter so the protein was still going to be high even with just a smaller amount of the powder. I came to the conclusion that 1/2 – 1 tablespoon seemed to be the sweet spot. Anytime I put anymore than 1 T, it was certainly noticed and I was met with complaints. Even 1 tablespoon, though it seems small, adds about 7 grams of protein. We will take it!

So this recipe has about 20 grams of plant based protein. Boom. That’s a win for sure! Give it a shot and let me know what you think. If you find a powder you prefer, I am open for suggestions so let me know!

Peanut Butter Banana Protein Overnight Oats. Be Whole. Be You.

Peanut Butter Banana Protein Overnight Oats
Serves 1
Prep Time
5 min
Prep Time
5 min
Ingredients
  1. 1/2 c rolled oats, regular or gluten free
  2. 1/2 small to medium banana, sliced
  3. 2/3 c unsweetened almond milk, or milk of choice
  4. 1/2 T chia seeds
  5. 1/2 - 1 T pea protein powder or hemp powder (or desired protein powder)
  6. 1/2 - 1 T natural creamy peanut butter, or any other nut or seed butter
  7. 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  8. 2 - 3 tsp pure maple syrup
  9. dash of sea salt
Instructions
  1. Combine all ingredients into a small jar or any container that can be sealed.
  2. Stir well to combine.
  3. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for about 4 hours.
  4. Eat chilled or warmed up and garnish with an extra drizzle of peanut butter and some banana slices if desired.
Be Whole. Be You. https://www.bewholebeyou.com/

You Might Also Like

21 Comments

• Reply Nita January 17, 2017 at 11:07 pm

Hi Lorie!

I’m a new reader and completely obsessed with your site! Why didn’t I find you sooner??
    Your recipes are inspiring and are exactly what I look for in terms of how I like to cook and eat!
    And your recipes are ALL amazing which I’ve never really run across, where I love each and every recipe, so just want to say kudos for such a fabulous site! You’re doing a great job! N keep up the good work 🙂

• Reply Lorie January 18, 2017 at 10:29 am

Hi Nita! This was the BEST thing to wake up to this morning! Thanks so much for the kind words. I’m so glad you love the site. Let me know how the recipes go and thanks again! ?

• Reply Kim February 3, 2017 at 11:09 am

Hi, can protein powder be replaced with anything? I don’t use protein powders. If not, how is this effected?

• Reply Lorie February 3, 2017 at 11:18 am

Hi Kim! You could easily skip it. My husband was looking for a higher protein Oatmeal and I went with the most real food protein powder. You could add some flax if you wanted but certainly should be just fine without!

• Reply Sunni February 5, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Do the rolled oats need to be cooked first?

• Reply Lorie February 5, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Hi Sunni! You don’t need to cook the Oats first. That’s the beauty of Overnight Oats. The soaking of the oats is what does the trick. Enjoy!

• Reply Maria February 6, 2017 at 3:03 pm

This is amazing!!! Overnight oats are so easy to make and you an enjoy healthy breakfast in the morning. Plenty of fibre and protein and of course tasty. I really like combination of banana and peanut butter

• Reply Lorie February 6, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Thanks Maria! I’m quite the Overnight Oats addictvand peanut butter and banana really is such a great combo! Thanks!!!

• Reply Gail February 6, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Hi! Will steel cut oats work? I’d love to try this but only have steel cut in my pantry! Thanks!

• Reply Lorie February 6, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Hey Gail! Steel Cut Oats work, they just tend to be a bit more crunchy/chewy but some of my favorite bloggers prefer the steel cut so have at it!

• Reply Mollie March 14, 2017 at 9:29 am

These are so good! I subbed one T honey for the maple syrup and it tastes amazing.

• Reply Lorie March 17, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Glad to know the substitution worked well for you!

• Reply Bree Mlady April 30, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Hi! Can the chia seeds be left out or does that effect the taste too much? Thanks!

• Reply Lorie April 30, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Hi Bree! You can absolutely leave the chia seeds out! Lessen the milk by maybe a tablespoon as the chia seeds absorb a lot of milk. Enjoy!

• Reply denise May 13, 2017 at 9:13 am

I do not follow, or LIKE sites. I DID YOURS !!!
    I really need nutrition facts on these wonderful dishes.
    I’m diabetic and I have to keep up with this.
    I may be just not seeing the nutrition facts, and they are there ???/

• Reply Lorie May 14, 2017 at 8:56 pm

Hi Denise! This means so much to me! So glad you are here! For my own former food issues I never count calories or anything like that. However, if you copy and paste the ingredients into any online counter, you can get all the info. I believe My Fitness Pal has a good one. Thanks so much again!

• Reply Tammy K Watson August 9, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Hi, Lorie. I’m going to try your recipe, but I’d like to know why you add salt to it. Adding salt can be a problem for some people with high blood pressure.

• Reply Lorie August 9, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Hi there! By all means skip it for sure! Iodized salt is typically the issue but the body does need a small amount of salt. When you aren’t eating processed foods, adding it in is beneficial. But you won’t miss it if you leave it out! Hope you enjoy them!

• Reply MySeeds September 7, 2017 at 5:39 pm

So pretty & so tasty: this has been pinned!
    If you’re looking to disguise protein powder flavors in the recipe (as mentioned) you might also try blending the oatmeal (with all ingredients included) after over-night-ing it. It makes a ‘soft serve’ type spoon-able texture that a lot of people feel is nice. If you threw in the whole banana, you’d end up with PB+Banana flavored chia oat breakfast. (More banana=more flavor fighting power if the protein’s not too tasty) Plus, a tad of texture variety can be fun with a recipe as tasty as this.

• Reply Lorie September 7, 2017 at 11:11 pm

Oooh, what a great idea! I’ve never tried blending it!

• Reply Easy Prep-Ahead Breakfasts – Chefing Around October 12, 2017 at 3:46 pm